Monday 18 June 2012

Gove by Rote

After dinner I was just writing something or other at the table. My grandson, aged six, approached, "Grandma, would you like me to count in fives?" I opined that I would. Thankfully he stopped at 100; foolishly I challenged him to go further. . . . .

I was impressed.  Mr Gove had only that week announced that pupils ought to learn their tables by rote, and here was JJ only a couple of days later doing it, and quite plainly enjoying it. I thought I'd write to Michael and mention how successful he had been, then it occurred to me: JJ couldn't have done all that stuff in two days; he must have been practising for months.

Now I was really shocked. Mr Gove was the Education Secretary for all of England [and some other places] and he is suggesting that our pupils should learn stuff that they are already doing. 

What else doesn't he know? And is he really in the right job? 

I think we all know the answer.

No comments:

Post a Comment